Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Moment Of Silence

I like to have a lot of fun with this blog, but the sign of a fool is one who can't recognize moments where sorrow and seriousness are required. So please permit me to change the substance and style of this blog for one particular post. I was informed of Didier Dagueneau's death on the 19th by e-mail while on the beach in Cabo San Lucas.  At first I wondered how he could have died. He was relatively young. It turns out he died, even more tragically, by plane crash. I'll leave the eulogizing to the people that knew Didier, in particular Joe Dressner's beautifully written piece.  Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet Dider but I admired him from afar, both the man and his wines... After I digested the news I remembered the last time I had one of Didier's wines. It was just barely a month ago and it was a bottle of Pur Sang 2003 at Sezmu that Larry had pulled from his private cellar. I drank it with Imperial Lounge's own Ryan Gold. Earlier that day my girlfriend and I had split up and I was deeply depressed. Needless to say she was a person that I loved dearly and had now lost. That evening, Didier's wine (and the company) gave me a small reprieve from loss, a small sampling of happiness. So sadly, it is now he that is lost.   

No comments: